Morgan Bibliography Home | OhioLINK Home | OhioLINK Databases | Morgan Index of People, Business and Institution, 1796-1850
Title: Catalogue of the Officers and Students of Vermillion Institute, Hayesville, Ohio, Under the Care of the Richland, Wooster and Coshocton Presbyteries, of the Presbyterian Church. September, 1850.
Imprint: Wooster: D.N. Sprague, Printer., 1850.
Description: [1-5], 6-8, , 10, , 12 [13-14, , bv. ; 20.5 cm
"History. Vermillion Institute was chartered by the State Legislature as a College, at the Session of 1845 and 1846. Soon after it was organized . A President and Professors were chosen, and opened its first Session in the spring of 1846. From the fact that there were so many other colleges in Ohio, and that no one religious denomination was pledged for its support, and other causes, it did not prosper. In the spring of 1849, the stockholders proposed to transfer the property, (consisting of a college building thirty-five by fifty feet and two acres of ground, on which the building stands, estimated worth $3,500,) to the Presbyteries of Wooster, Richland, and Coshocton, on condition that they would establish and sustain a Presbyterial Academy in Hayesville. The offer was accepted, and the transfer made, so that these Presbyteries not only control the Institute, but own the entire property.
There are two departments, male and female, which are separate and distinct from each other in their instruction and government.--The course of instruction is thorough, embracing all the branches usually taught in the highest literary institutions in the West."--p. .